How scalp and body acupuncture can help.. with Male Fertility and Libido?
Facts from the latest research about the connection between human brain and testis (1)
- Link between the brain and male fertility system was found by the Royal Society. Apparently, there're many similarities between the brain's contents and the scrotum. Brain and testis have the highest number of common proteins, compared with other human body tissues. Many of the same receptors and signalling pathways are also found in both tissues. Common proteins are involved in a process called exocytosis. When exocytosis occurs in the brain, cells hand off neurotransmitters between each other, which is also an essential process during fertilisation.
- Link between sexual dysfunction and brain disorders has been clearly defined. Sexual dysfunction may be presenting symptom of a developing neurologic disease or it may be due to more general effect of a neurologic disorder.
- Links between intelligence levels and semen quality: Scientists at Northwestern University have discovered a specific area of the brain where male libido is produced. In this region, a key gene, known as aromatase, determines the strength of male sexual desire. Aromatase is a key enzyme in oestrogen production. Estrogen functions in both males and females. Testosterone must be converted to estrogen to drive male sexual desire.
- Link between the hypothalamus and the testes was found by group of scientists in California. This newly discovered neural connection runs through the spinal cord, allowing brain events to affect testosterone secretion much faster than the regular hormonal wiring of the pituitary gland does for testosterone secretion.
Scalp Acupuncture has proven to bring both functional and structural changes to the brain.
Yamamoto new scalp acupuncture is a special form of acupuncture, based on wester medicine and neurological knowledge. The method is based on a somatotopy on the scalp, and accordingly the entire organism is projected on a defined area of the scalp.
By inserting acupuncture needles subcutaneously into specific area on the scalp corresponding to the cortical areas of the cerebrum, responsible for central nervous system functions such as motor function, sensory input, speech, hearing, and balance, it could function in therapeutic effect for treating acute and chronic central nervous system and other disorders and body dysfunctions.
What does the research say?
- Clinical researches demonstrate that acupuncture needles on motor area could expand cerebral blood vessels, increase cerebral blood flow, stimulate the brain neurones, release certain hormones and have direct impact on certain organs and glands such us pituitary and thyroid. It provokes modulation at cortical structures including prefrontal cortex, medial temporal lobes, hypothalamus, amygdala, cingulate and hyppocampus.
- When a group of infertile men received twice weekly acupuncture for 5 weeks, there was a general improvement in the sperm’s structural integrity and a statistically significant increase in the percentage and number of sperm with no structural defects. 
- Another group of infertile men was divided randomly into an acupuncture group and a control group. The acupuncture group received 10 treatments over 5 weeks and demonstrated improved motility and morphology as compared to the control group. 
-A study of acupuncture on infertile men—in fact, men with such extremely low sperm counts (or no sperm) that testicular biopsy would have been required to collect sperm for ICSI (intercytoplasmic sperm injection, sometimes used in IVF)—demonstrated the efficacy of acupuncture in boosting sperm counts. After 10 treatments, the men who initially produced no sperm were able to produce sufficient sperm to no longer require testicular biopsy. 
Thus, Yamamoto new scalp acupuncture is the promising safe and natural treatment method to improve male fertility. When combined with traditional body acupuncture it even more increases chances to improve sperm quality, quantity, motility, morphology and libido.
Other factors contributing to male fertility:
- Diet rich in selenium, zinc, L-carnitine, CoQ10, omega-3 fatty acids, lycopene, and Vitamins A, B, C, and E. Food products should be included in everyday meals are:
1.Oysters and pumpkin seeds, they are very high in Zinc 2. Green leafy vegetables are high in Folate and vitamin C 3. Dark chocolate, high in Arginine 4. Nuts, especially Walnuts and Brazil nuts, high in Selenium and Omega-3 fatty acids 5. Organic meat, high in protein 6. Pomegranates, the source of antioxidants which helps to improve testosterone levels
Alcohol, coffees, white sugar, proceeded meats and fried foods should be avoided.
- Additional Supplements:
Ubiquinol, supports energy production in reproductive cells Pycnogenol, benefits sperm morphology and improves erectile function N-Acetyl Cysteine, improves sperm quantity and overall quality L-Arginine, benefits sperm formation and motility Acetyl-L-Carnitine, benefits sperm formation and motility Omega-3, reduces inflammation & supports health cell growth Vitamin C, supports healthy cell growth Vitamin E, improves sperm motility and overall quality Selenium and Zinc (supports sperm production and testosterone metabolism) Vitamin B12 (promotes healthy cell replication)
- Reduce genital heat
Examples of activities that heat up scrotum: hanging out in hot water (hot springs, hot tubs, saunas, hot showers), sitting for extended periods of time (at work, watching TV), cycling, typing with a laptop on your lap, and wearing tight-fitting clothing.
- Reduce Stress, as it ruins sperm production
Evidence suggests that high levels of cortisol, the “stress hormone,” negatively impact testosterone levels, which in turn decreases sperm production
- Reduce exposure to toxins like cigarettes, Bisphenol A (BPA), found in plastics, pesticides and herbicides like Roundup, heavy metals especially cadmium and lead. They all causes endocrine disruption.
- Detoxify your body with Glutathione and Manual Lymphatic Drainage
Glutathione is a master antioxidant, it reduces oxidative stress, repairs mitochondria and plays a prominent role in detoxification process (5). Manual Lymphatic drainage is the type of treatment to clean the lymph and promote regeneration of the cells. They both work synergistically encouraging the production of healthy, good quality sperm.
Book your first appointment with Giedre, licensed acupuncturist, nutritionist and lymphatic drainage specialist. She is passionate about helping couples achieve optimal health and maximise their fertility so that they can create the families they desire.
 Brain and testis: more alike than previously thought? Matos B., Publicover S.J.,.Castro L.F., Esteves P.J. and Fardilha M.  Quantitative evaluation of spermatozoa ultrastructure after acupuncture treatment for idiopathic male infertility. Pei J et al Fertil Steril. 2005 Jul;84(1):141-7, Fertility and Sterility  Effect of acupuncture on sperm parameters of males suffering from subfertility related to low sperm quality. Siterman S et al Arch Androl. 1997 Sep-Oct;39(2):155-61, Archives of Andrology  Does acupuncture treatment affect sperm density in males with very low sperm count? A pilot study. Siterman S et al Andrologia. 2000 Jan;32(1):31-9., Andrologia  Review on the role of glutathione on oxidative stress and infertility. Adeoye,O., Olawumi, J., Opeyemi, A. and Christiania, O. JBRA Assist Reprod. 2018 Jan-Mar; 22(1): 61–66.